Slip and Fall
Each year, more than a million people suffer a slip and fall accident in the United States. Although the term “slip and fall” may sound like a minor accident, they are often serious and, in some cases, catastrophic. In fact, one out of five falls today results in a serious injury. According to the Centers for Disease Control, these falls are not only serious, but they are costly. In 2015, medical costs for falls totaled in excess of $50 billion.
If you have suffered a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries from the property owner. At Northwest Law Group, our team of experienced Bellevue slip and fall lawyers are dedicated to holding parties accountable for accidents when negligence has been a factor.The Dangers of a Slip and Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents can have a serious impact on the lives of those who are injured, both in the short term and the long term. Many of these injuries can result in costly medical interventions with many having lifelong consequences.
Slip and fall accidents commonly result in
- Hip fractures and broken bones - Although many broken bone injuries heal with time and the appropriate medical care, hip fractures are another thing entirely. Elderly adults are 10 to 15 times more likely to suffer a hip fracture as a result of a fall, with one in five elderly victims dying within one year of their injury.
- Traumatic brain injuries -- Falls are one of the most common causes of brain injuries, from concussions to catastrophic brain injuries. Falls cause nearly 40 percent of TBIs in the United States requiring emergency medical care.
- Spinal cord injuries -- According to the Mayo Clinic, falls are the cause of more than 25 percent of all spinal cord injuries among older adults.
- Shoulder and back injuries -- Falls often lead to back injuries and shoulder dislocations, many requiring surgery and ongoing physical therapy.
- Sprains and strains -- Falls often result in sprains and strains to the body’s connective tissues and ligaments.
Slip and fall accidents fall under premises liability laws in Washington. These laws were established to keep unsuspecting individuals safe on another party’s property and to ensure their legal rights if an injury took place.
Premises liability maintains that a property owner, manager, or whoever controls the property is liable for an accident and injury to someone if it is caused by their negligence. Consequently, a property owner must keep it reasonably safe for anyone who uses it. When you have been harmed on another’s property, you should consult with a skilled Bellevue premises liability attorney for legal advice.
Slip and fall accidents may be caused by a variety of circumstances, including
- Wet and slippery flooring
- Inconsistent or unexpected floor transitions
- Unsecured rugs and mats
- Broken or uneven stairways
- Missing or broken railings
- Lack of adequate lighting
- Exposed cables, cords, and wires
- Broken or cracked walkways or pavement
- Unsafe parking lots
- Construction debris
- Lack of warning signs or barriers at hazardous locations
- Ice and snow that has not been responsibly removed
Even if a property owner is not onsite and may not know firsthand of a hazard, he or she still has the responsibility to keep the property inspected, maintained, and repaired. If a danger can’t be remedied immediately, that owner has a legal responsibility to warn others of the potential for danger.Having the Right Legal Counsel
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, it’s important to speak with an experienced Bellevue slip and fall accident attorney to understand your legal rights to compensation and your options. Proving negligence in a slip and fall claim can be complicated and insurance companies frequently deny these claims. Getting the skill and advice of a professional ensures that your claim will be supported with the evidence you need to be fairly compensated for your injuries.
Having the right Bellevue slip and fall accident lawyer on your side is essential to the success of your claim. At Northwest Law Group, we offer a free consultation so you can understand your rights and options under the law. You never pay any legal fees unless we recover compensation on your behalf.
Our skilled slip and fall law firm serves Bellevue and other communities throughout Washington State, including:
- Federal Way
- Maple Valley
- University Place
- Lake Stevens
- Mill Creek
- Mountlake Terrace
- Port Orchard
- Bainbridge Island
- Port Gamble