COVID-19 Update: We Care About Your Health and Safety
Justia Lawyer Rating
Washington State Bar Association
ARAG Proud Member
Lead Counsel Rated
International Families Justice Coalition

Child Support

Washington State Child Support

You want the needs of your child to be met throughout their life, and up until the age of 18, it’s also you and the other parent’s legal obligation. Yet, this fact shines no light on the number of complex factors the court considers when issuing an order of support. There are two main documents the court uses to express the financial responsibility each parent has to their children. The first is a Child Support Order, and the second is the Washington State Child Support Worksheet. These documents work in conjunction with one another, and each will be discussed in greater detail below.

As explained above, the court’s primary objective is to secure a standard of living that meets the child’s developmental needs. In working to achieve this goal, the state created a standardized economic table listing the parent’s shared support obligation (RCW 26.19.020). What support bracket you fall within is determined by the combined monthly net income of you and your spouse. Standards for determining which are set forth in RCW 26.19.071 (3), income sources to be included in gross monthly income, (4) income sources excluded from gross monthly income, (5) and standards for determining net income.

The basic child support obligation is the total amount that is to be shared by the parents. The portion of the total support obligation one parent must pay is based on the proportion of the total monthly net income their income accounts for. So, if the total combined monthly net income for you and your spouse is $5000 and your net income is $3000 of this, you are required to provide 60% of the basic support obligation while your spouse is to provide the other 40%. As with other Family Law related issues, the important considerations are highly fact specific.

Luckily, our child custody and support attorneys in Bellevue are experts in the field. They will provide you with the understanding and information necessary for you to make a strategic decision in service of your larger goals. Child support is one area of family law that, along with the parenting plan, can have some of the most long-lasting affects on your life. For this reason, speaking with an attorney is of the utmost importance, and our child custody and support attorneys in Bellevue are always here to help. They will help guide you through this tumultuous process, all while ensuring both you and your children get an outcome that’s most beneficial for all parties involved.

Client Reviews
★★★★★
Thank you, Northwest Law Group and Alice, our wonderful attorney, for making us feel heard. You clearly care about your clients, and I cannot thank you enough for your urgency in finalizing the case in a way that was the most beneficial to me and my kids. My children are in a stable home now and we have been able to move on, all thanks to you, Alice and your firm. - V.P
★★★★★
When I received the divorce papers from my husband, I was extremely worried and didn’t know what to do. I found Alice and Northwest Law Group through a friend, and just after my first meeting with Alice, I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. She explained everything to me and continued to do so as she represented me through the conclusion of my case. I don’t know what I would have done without Alice! - Z.B
★★★★★
I just want to thank Northwest Law Group, PLLC. for being professionals in handling my DUI case. I made a huge mistake when I got behind the wheel of my car after a night of drinking. Thankfully, you were able to help me work through the confusing court process, ensuring that my mistake didn’t end up costing me time at work or with my family. - Anonymous